Texas WIC: Breastfeeding Experts
WIC staff are truly breastfeeding experts. All WIC staff are required to have breastfeeding education, no matter their role in the clinic. This helps to ensure that every point of contact in the WIC experience provides consistent and evidence-based information to better help our clients reach their breastfeeding goals.
Mothers supporting mothers
Peer counselors are more than just support for your patients; they are your partner in helping and encouraging mothers to breastfeed. When you refer mutual clients, WIC peer counselors:
- Teach basic breastfeeding skills to new moms.
- Educate mothers on the benefits of breastfeeding for both mom and baby.
- Share research-based breastfeeding information, best practices and their own valuable insight.
- Make appropriate referrals to physicians, hospitals, lactation consultants, and other providers when needed.
- Provide clinic and phone consults.
- Help with breast pumps, as needed.
- Make hospital and home visits, where available.
Research has shown a significant increase in the initiation and duration of breastfeeding with peer counselor intervention.
How We Work
Peer counselors refer situations that fall outside of basic breastfeeding support to International Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLCs) or other health-care professionals. IBCLCs are health-care professionals certified in lactation care that have specific clinical expertise and training in the management of complex problems with lactation. Many Texas WIC agencies have an IBCLC on staff. WIC agencies that do not have IBCLCs on staff have access to RN, IBCLCs via phone, email or tele-consult with our WIC Lactation Support Centers.
WIC clinics are not medical clinics. All lactation and other issues involving a medical component are referred accordingly.