This section of our website provides resources to our health partners in the medical profession to help improve the lives of women and children. Here you’ll find information on classes, breastfeeding services, nutrition and referrals.
WIC’s health and nutrition program has a long-standing record of improving health outcomes of women, infants and children who are at risk for nutrition-related illness.
Studies show pregnant women who participate in WIC have fewer premature births, fewer low birth weight babies, experience fewer fetal and infant deaths, seek prenatal care earlier in pregnancy, and consume more key nutrients like iron, protein, calcium, and Vitamins A and C. It has been estimated that for each dollar spent on WIC for prenatal education, $3.50 is saved in Medicaid and disability payments and in medical-care costs paid by private health-care providers.
Check out our section on Partner Resources for more information on how to access these and other benefits available to you through Texas WIC.
WIC Provides Your Patients:
WIC Offers Partners:
Formula Changes are Coming to Texas WIC (Updated 5/22/2023)
WIC programs must have contracts for milk-based and soy-based infant formulas.
Babies who use standard formula can be issued:
- Enfamil Infant - 12.5 oz
- Enfamil Gentlease - 12.4 oz
- Enfamil A.R. - 12.9 oz
- Enfamil Reguline - 12.4 oz
- Similac Soy Isomil - 12.4 oz
Health Partners are strongly encouraged to support WIC participants in using contract formula products if they are medically appropriate and tolerated by the child.
Texas WIC is unable to accept prescriptions for comparable brands of standard formula.
Consistent with USDA guidance, Texas WIC will continue to offer a few temporary alternative options through the end of May 2023. Starting June 1, 2023, WIC participants will only be able to receive the contract milk-based and soy-based infant formulas issued to them.
If Enfamil Reguline or Enfamil A.R. is not available at the store, your patients can contact their WIC office to discuss formula options. However, your patients may seek your guidance for alternative formulas if Enfamil A.R. or Enfamil Reguline are not available.
Resources for Health Partners:
Available brands of therapeutic formulas are not impacted by the contract change. Texas WIC continues to have a wide variety of therapeutic formulas available with a completed medical request. For more information on formulas available through the Texas WIC program, please visit the formulary (PDF).
Examples of available therapeutic formulas with a medical request include:
Preterm Formulas and Human Milk Fortifiers
- Enfamil Human Milk Fortifier PWD or Acidified Liquid - Mead Johnson
- Similac Human Milk Fortifier Concentrated Liquid - Abbott Laboratories
- Similac Human Milk Fortifier Hydrolyzed Protein Concentrated Liquid - Abbott Laboratories
- Enfamil Premature 24 w/ Iron - Mead Johnson
- Enfamil Premature High Protein 24 w/ Iron - Mead Johnson
- Enfamil Premature 30 - Mead Johnson
- Similac Special Care 20 w/Iron - Abbott Laboratories
- Similac Special Care 24 w/Iron - Abbott Laboratories
- Similac Special Care 24 High Protein - Abbott Laboratories
- Similac Special Care 30 - Abbott Laboratories
Premature Transitional Formulas
- Neosure 22kcal/oz - Abbott Laboratories
- Enfamil Enfacare 22kcal/oz - Mead Johnson
Protein Hydrolysate Hypoallergenic Formulas
- Alimentum - Abbott Laboratories
- Extensive HA - Gerber
- Nutramigen - Mead Johnson
- Generic Hypoallergenic – Perrigo’
- Pepticate - Nutricia
- Pregestimil 24 - Mead Johnson
- Pregestimil DHA/ARA - Mead Johnson
Elemental/Amino Acid-Based Formulas
- Alfamino Infant - Nestle
- Elecare DHA/ARA - Abbott Laboratories
- Neocate w/DHA/ARA - Nutricia
- PurAmino - Mead Johnson
- Neocate Syneo - Nutricia
Additional formula products such as toddler formulas, increased calorie supplements and metabolic formulas are also available.